Today You Need To Take A Few Baby Steps Toward Your Big Goals
Really big goals can be really scary.
It doesn’t matter if it’s wanting to lose a significant amount of weight, pay off a large chunk of debt, or change careers.
When you think about tackling those big goals, you get intimidated.
Trust me, you aren’t the only one.
You put off working towards your goal because you either don’t have any idea where to start or because the task simply seems too daunting.
Today we’re going to tackle our goals head-on (in a not so scary way) and start making some progress to reach them.
The key to reaching your goal, no matter how big or lofty, is to start by breaking it down into bite-sized chunks and take baby steps until you build momentum.
You can reach any goal and make any change if you consistently take small steps towards it.
Without consistency, your goal will fall by the wayside and end up becoming yet another “guilt issue” for you to deal with down the road.
Don’t let it happen to you!
You’ve worked hard to get this far, so I want to encourage you to take a deep breath, sit back, and imagine what it will feel like when you reach your goal.
It’s going to be awesome, isn’t it?
The best part is that you don’t have to “have it all figured out” to get started.
- You don’t need to know exactly what you’ll have to do at every step along the way.
- You don’t need to come up with a plan to pay off your entire credit card debt before you can start finding ways to cut your current bills.
- You don’t have to figure out how exactly you’ll lose all of those extra pounds before you start implementing healthier eating habits.
- You don’t need to know how much it will take to buy your dream home before you open up a savings account.
- You don’t need to know everything there is to know about opening and running your own bakery before you start practicing your skills.
Today is all about making a little bit of progress toward your goal to get yourself started.
This will get you over that initial hurdle and build momentum. It will also help you realize that you can figure out the rest along the way.
Ready to take those first few steps right now?
Start by looking at your big goal, the changes you want to make, or what you most want to get out of life.
You need to know what your end goal is, but you don’t need to worry about everything you need to do to get there. At least, not yet.
Just make sure you have an idea of the general direction you want to head in.
At this point, it’s fine to simply decide that you want to lose some weight and improve your health or pay off those credit cards and student loans to give yourself some financial breathing space.
Got your goal in mind yet?
Now come up with one or two little things you can do right now to help you move in the right direction.
It doesn’t matter how small those steps are.
Baby steps may seem insignificant when you look at the big picture and how far you need to go, but they will quickly add up.
Most importantly, baby steps will help you build momentum toward reaching your big goals.
Let’s look at a few examples of what those baby steps may look like:
If your goal is improving your health and losing weight, there are several easy changes you can make right away!
- One of your baby steps may be to go for a 10-minute walk each day.
- You could try replacing soda with sparkling or infused water.
- Trying out some new healthy recipes and getting into the habit of eating a salad or steamed veggies would be another great baby step to take.
If your goal is to save money or pay off debt, find one or two places where you can save a few dollars and start applying them towards your financial goal.
- Your first baby step could be to have $20 per month auto drafted into a savings account or toward the principal of your debt.
- You could go through your bills and try cutting out some monthly extras like canceling magazine subscriptions or downgrading your cellphone and cable plans.
- Another simple change would be skipping the coffee shop in the morning and packing your lunch instead of eating out.
If you want to change careers or start your own business, read up on what you need to do or find someone to talk to who’s in your desired job for some advice. There are plenty of free resources online, including blog posts!
In short, do something today, no matter how small, that will move you in the right direction.
Let me know in the comments what steps you plan to take!